Monday 1 July 2013

That Boy

I could see the boy cross the road from the comfort of my shop. The sooner he approached, the more I smiled. I had a liking for this guy, my husbands younger brother. He knew how to brighten people's days, as Flo,my workmate would testify. His jokes were always well timed, making it hard for one not to like him. I very well knew what this particular visit meant. Having called me the previous night,Robert, a university student wanted a loan. What a determined child, he wanted a loan to pay his tuition fees. How I admired this boy's approach to life, he didn't believe in holding other people responsible for his undertakings. He considered education his undertaking, a personal initiative for that matter. After greeting us, he went on to crack some jokes after which he continued, 'I want a favor from you, please loan mi 10k and I'll repay early next month.' Early next month was when the Helb loan disbursements were made. I let him knew that I had no liquid cash unless I withdrew from the bank. He offered to queue on my behalf and call me when he is about to be served, not out of desperation. Everyone knew very well how kind he was. So why would such a kind and bright boy lack someone to pay his tuition fees.? His dad was a well off man, and all his elder brothers had a source of income. Not like they wouldn't pay his fees, they very much would. But this boy never believed in having to beg. Wa-mwangi (as his mum was referred to) must have done a pretty good job in moulding the boy's character. Born from a Christian family, the boy was all a woman would wish to have for a son.... ( to be continued)

2 comments:

  1. Get serious left me Hanging, To ask are you the Boy

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe..your guess is as good as mine

    ReplyDelete

How did you find the read?
Kindly leave a comment here.