Monday 6 January 2014

My soft spot

This story is a manifestation that men can fall in love with one woman, not once but over time. It's a story informed by deep love and spurred by regret. It's a narration of the only one person that would qualify to be my soul mate.
I first met her at the halls of residence in Kenyatta University. Nyayo 5 to be specific. Those chiqs you meet through a friend's friend's friend. Mixing, right? I had gone to take a friend of mine to see a friend of his, one Esther Musili. It thus happened that she had a Halle Berry for a roommate. 'Muthaka ta ngoma'. Boy, wasn't she winsome, the type that you'd draw the map of the world with your leg for. I remember smiling sheepishly at her. Mind you I didn't even know theirs name, leave alone that of Esther, our host that day. I had found a refuge. The first thing I noticed was her rich shade of ebony-black hair. Yes, I said hair you perverts! It tumbled over her shoulders to adorn her dazzling porcelain-like skin. Her eyes, framed by long lashes, twinkled and seemed to brighten the world. Her straight nose, full lips completed the seemingly picture of perfection. Actually, had she smiled, the world would sigh with contentment. That's not what impressed me most, it's actually not what made me fall for her. No! am lying. It was a concoction of both her beauty and character. We struck a bond easily and in a couple of days we hit the ground running. Most notable were
those viazi karai moments at KM. Yes, we have our own Kenyatta Market at KU. We found all manner of excuses to spend time together. We got used to each other and I soon started taking her shopping at Ngara. Good thing she was the one paying for her shopping otherwise the story would have been different. We had ice cream in town and went out at night. It was a blissful experience. She was my first love.
But it doesn't get all beautiful till it gets ugly. I spoilt the fun before it had even started and didn't treat her as I should have. I started acting immature and wouldn't pick up her calls anymore. I am a strange person, you don't have to mention it. Out of the blues, I started avoiding her for no apparent reason. All this time she wept in silence, not to betray her suffering. But now she had shed the last tear. She gave up on me and I lost a love just like that. Now the tears are all mine for the offing. I always cry when I remember this story. I just can't believe I could act as dumb as I did. No way, that wasn't me. It couldn't have been me. Not when I was so much in love with her. But again, it happens when it's your first time, when you're inexperienced in the ways of love. Albeit all that she endured from me her strong character proved she's not just a queen but the queen. She did give me a listening ear even when I didn't have no excuse to defend my actions. I would dance naked at the top of KICC if it were the only way to make her smile. Take a trip to the sun and the moon and back just to be with her. Yes! I would do anything for her! Except, obviously, making her cry again. Not even the tears of happiness!
Now, this narrative is not to make her feel remorseful nor to make her shed a tear again. No! It's a lesson to anyone who has found true love never to let it go. Not even to take a break. Hold on to the one you love! You never know, You might just never have the chance to genuinely love again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How did you find the read?
Kindly leave a comment here.