Friday 3 January 2014

That's Steve for you!

If there's anything that sparks deep emotions in me, it has to be one Stephen Mbiri, my 'twin' brother. In quotes because it's wishful thinking. I'd have loved to have him for a twin, identical, so we could play with girl's mind. I would give up anything in this world just to see him happy. The brother you'd give up your helb loan just to be of little help. This piece is about my experiences with him from childhood to maturity. Readers be warned, this is quite a long one!
Stubbornness best describes him in many aspects. He was not the type to say sorry at the stroke of a cane. Mama would beat him up and end up exhausted, never to get an answer. Steve was the child you'd conspire to commit a crime with and be sure it remained a secret. We love him like that. I remember we used to sleep in a room next to our kitchen, some meters from the main house. Now, at night the wind would blow the iron sheets hard thus producing some dreadful noise. This scared the hell out of us! The dogs would join in on the fun and rub the iron sheets to double our fear. I guess that's the reason we wet our beds daily! We were organized in our response however. At the count of three, we would all, but him, scream out for help. He remained as quite as if nothing was happening. Stubbornness made in Muranga. No! In his heart!
But it gets him in trouble at times. Many times! I remember one day we had gone to fetch fodder at a nearby farm that dad had rented. Now, we decided to be clever. After loading our wheelbarrows, we thought out a plan, on how to steal sugarcane from a distant farm. Kim, our 3rd born had done a shoddy research on the perceived owner of the farm. It turned out that the farm didn't belong to the Mr. Kimuhi we actually thought. After our sugarcane raid, we heard shouts from the neighbourhood calling us thieves.Rightly! Chege, my brother, and I were headed for a take off. No looking back! You should have seen us navigate up the hills, perfect mountain climbers. My two other brothers (Kim and Steve) were confident enough to back down. After all they thought it was Mr. Kimuhu's farm and they'd lie he was our uncle. Shock on them! The beating they got still haunts me to date. The lashes were loud enough to be heard by us from our safe landing zone. They were eventually released and were lucky not to be torched by the angry mob. But the luck was short-lived as we would find out. We got home but without a panga, it was left at the farm we had 'invaded'. Somehow, our parents got to know about the incident. We were lined up to receive each one's share of a dog's beating. The type of beatings that you line up and get in turns. A cycle that stops not.
The story doesn't stop there either! Not without the good side of him. I am more lucky to have him than he is to have me. Yes! I actually consider myself privileged to have two dad's. He is a father figure in my life, the type that leaves you feeling loved and pampered. I remember him giving me all his daily earnings to count for him. I think he trusted me alot. He didn't even know how much he earned. And the next day he'd leave me with enough to spend and save. He'd always ask if I had fare whenever I said I wanted to go somewhere. And he'd provide it. You know the type that makes you feel like a tick, over-dependent and parasitic. I always thank God for him. Last christmas, he called me so we can go shopping for our clothes, at his own peril and cost. Now, what can one do to repay such acts of kindness? I honestly don't know, but somehow I know I'll be of great help to him some time in future. I'll never watch and see you fall bro, this you can be sure. And now to the part that I love most, Beaty, his daughter. 2013 was a successful year for him and his family. What can best describe success than to sire a child that looks just like you. Uhm, No! She looks likes me, just like me. How I love to lie that she's mine, because I wish she truly was! Cheers to the best brother one could ever ask for!

1 comment:

  1. excellent writing! and the humour is way out of this world...

    ReplyDelete

How did you find the read?
Kindly leave a comment here.